Get patriotic with rags from t-shirts with this no-sewing banner tutorial! With some old t-shirts and some hot glue I didn’t have to pay a dime to make this fourth of July decoration. Not only did I have to not sew a stitch I also get a decoration I can use for years to come.
3 used tee shirts in red white and blue
1 sheet of card-stock paper
black permanent marker
hot glue/hot glue gun
1. Cut out several strips of fabric from the t shirts to make the banner rope. Make sure that you have a length of about twelve feet or more when strips are lined up from end to end. Tie knots into scraps every three to four inches apart, making the strips more durable and giving it a fun flair. Once you have the knots all tied in you can go ahead and tie the knotted strips together with a double knot creating one long rope like strip.
2. Your going to need to make 9 flags. Take the sheet of card stock paper and cut the sides off in an angle to make a paper length triangle template. Trace the template with a pencil on the yard of fabric. Continue to trace the template along your fabric by flipping the template from top to bottom so that you can reduce the waste of any excess fabric.
3. Cut out your flags, and make sure you have all flags accounted for.
4. Next cut our your letters and stars to hot glue to the flags. You can just use a permanent black marker to draw your letters on the t shirt rags. Make sure you give at least 1/2 and inch in between letters. Cut out the letters by cutting around the outside of the black marker lines leaving about 1/4 of an inch of fabric to outline your letters.
5. This is where you put everything together. Lay out your flags and hot glue the letters to each flag. When all the letters and stars are hot glued on you can go ahead and hot glue the fabric scrap rope along the top front of the flags. Make sure you lay it all out first before gluing it all down to make any adjustments needed.
These no-sew banners are easy to hang up just using some thumb tacks or using the ends to tie the banner to something. You can do so much with these no-sew banners and give them your own fun flair by mixing up colors and patterned fabrics. I hope you find this fourth of July craft tutorial useful and have tons of fun making your own!